Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Speaker Repair

Cleaning off the old decayed foam surrounds.
I was waiting for some other parts to arrive, so took a break from the amp and worked on speakers. I had some Infinity Reference Two bookshelf speakers that I bought 20 years ago when I went off to college and needed smaller speakers. They sounded great then, but the foam woofer surrounds had crumbled with age five or six years ago. After several unsuccessful efforts to get rid of them at garage sales for ridiculously low prices, they have been sitting in the garage, used mostly as sawhorses.

$20 on eBay got me some new foam surrounds, so I repaired one of the speakers the past few nights. It's a messy job, scraping off old foam and cleaning off glue. But not too difficult. Below is the updated speaker. I haven't fully tested it yet, just a low volume test with a small extra amplifier I have to see if it works. Seems to be fine and looks great! Seriously, folks, you missed your chance to get these speakers at my garage sale for like $6 for the pair. They are now back and ready for some good audio.


New foam added. Looks great!


No comments:

Post a Comment