Sunday, March 9, 2014

Great Sound

I needed a really nice photo to show this off, so here's a better look with decent lighting and plain background. I'm not the most patient photographer so I might do more with this later. I've now been listening for about 5-6 hours over the course of the weekend. It sounds really awesome and I'm very pleased with it.

As a side note, I've been trying out Beats Music (formerly MOG) and am liking it so far. I'm still in the 7 day trial and might upgrade to the paid service. It has just about anything I might want and streams in high quality on the computer or mobile. The PC interface seems clunky, but I haven't spent much time on it. Two recommended tunes for testing a new amp:  first..."S'Wonderful" by Diana Krall. Yes, it really is wonderful. Thank you, Diana. Second, the power-song I still remember auditioning in a stereo store when I was about 16 years old buying my first amp and speakers (an Onkyo receiver and big Marantz speakers)... "Owner of a Lonely Heart" by Yes. Awesome.

I have a few things left to do. First, I haven't thought of a nifty way to ground the run capacitor casing. If you recall, I used the professional mounting technique of superglue which apparently isn't a conductor between the top plate and capacitor casing. I can test a small amount of voltage present between the casing and ground and am not comfortable ignoring the need to ground this for safety. For now, I wrapped some loose copper wire a few times and connected it to a transformer bolt. It sort of looks cool, like "Oh yeah, and a dab of copper wire just so..." Maybe I'll leave it or think of something else.

I also still need to solder my output wires to the speaker terminals; they are currently bolted on but not the best connection. And I'll finish the bottom panel by drilling a few more holes for air flow and then can cover the bottom for safety. Feels like the whole thing weighs about 20 pounds. Not sure, but it's heavy.

This might be my last post unless something else is relevant. Overall, was an awesome project. Kudos to George Anderson who designed the Tubelab SSE and provided such great instructions. I think next I might build a DIY DAC to improve my input signal instead of using my laptop headphone output. We'll see! Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment